Tuesday, February 16, 2010

What Kind Of Printer Does Peter Lik Use

books make up part 1

Blankets -.. Craig Thompson

My first e graphic novel I was expecting any more . No, that's not true.
I had expected something different. I had a love story expected. The latter was not there, but that was just not actually really the main theme. Drawing is the love for Craig, just like that, a temptation to break away from his strict religious upbringing and to define his own beliefs.
For me as completely unreligösen people are afraid of sin and the conflict between pleasure and art on the one hand and religion on the other side completely alien, so I had the book may not be ordered if I had known what it really goes. But Mr Thompson, creates this very strange to me that fears are completely understandable and seems to entertain a little bit of fanaticism.
In any case, is a beautifully drawn Blankets autobiography with bittersweet nostalgia in every stroke.


Skulduggery Pleasant - Derek Landy


so cool! So so so cool!
Funny, dry, ironic dialogue, lots of action, unconventional hero, not a dull moment.
This has sometimes been really really fun!
Maybe a T extauszug? I think that makes sense. I have it but only in the original.
So much for the action to the excerpt:
Stephanie is 12 and has by her recently deceased uncle, a very successful horror author, inherited a house. At the memorial service and the Testamentsverlesung it has taken an interesting, strange, masked friend of her uncle named Skulduggery Pleasant. This is now to help her as she spends a night alone in her new home and is promptly attacked. In the fight that involves throwing balls of fire and other supernatural action, Skulduggery has successfully driven the intruder - but has now lost his disguise in the form of hat, wig, scarf and sunglasses and is now seen as a skeleton for the first time in front of Stephanie.

"What's going on?" Stephanie asked. "Who was he? What did he want? Just who are you?"
"I'm me," Skulduggery said, picking up his hat and wig and placing them on a nearby table. "As for him, I don't know who he is, never seen him before in my life."
"You shot him."

"That's right."
"And you threw fire at him."
"Yes, I did."

Stephanie's legs felt weak and her head felt light.
"Mr Pleasant, you're a skeleton."
"Ah, yes, back to the crux of the matter. Yes, I am, as you say, a skeleton. I have been one for a few years now."

"Am I going mad?"

"I hope not."
"So you're real? You actually exist?"

"Presumably."

"You mean you're not shure if you exist or not?"
"I'm fairly certain. I mean, I could be wrong. I could be some ghastly hallucination, a figment of my imagination."
"You might be a figment of your own imagination?"

"Stranger things have happened. And do, with alarming regularity."

"This is too weird."
Skulduggery put his gloved hands in his pockets and cocked his head. He had no eyeballs so it was hard to tell if he was looking at her or not. "You know, I met your uncle under similar circumstances. Well, kind of similar. But he was drunk. And we were in a bar. And he had vomited on my shoes. So i suppose the actual circumstances aren't
overly similar, but both events include a meeting, so... My point is, he was having some trouble and I was there to lend a hand, and we became good friends after that. Good, good friends." His head tilted. "You look like you might faint."
Stephanie nodded slowly. "I've never fainted before, but I think you might be right."

"Do you want me to catch you if you fall, or...?"
"If you wouldn't mind."

"No problem at all."
"Thank you." Stephanie gave him a weak smile and then darkness clouded her vision and she felt herself falling and the last thing she saw what her Skulduggery Pleasant darting across the room towar.
Really really really great. The next parts are bought!

Bartimaeus: The Amulet of Samarkand - Jonathan Stroud

also be a case of perfect Leseamüsement.
highlights are, of course, the chapters that Bartimaeus is telling. And even if the little magician with his ambition and his lack of social life are one thing character, the story is told just great and has unbeatable sense of humor. Not
Skulduggery as easy as something evil in tone.
Incredibly funny scenes.
My favorite line: "I see no woman, just a grinning demon." I laughed out loud. Several times.





The First Man - Albert Camus

I found it exhausting the first 50 pages. I had to get used to that. But then he has me intrigued. Very. It would be interesting to see what would become of the manuscript, if Camus had not crashed before finishing.
Even so, or perhaps because of its incompleteness, the book draws on the childhood of moving Camus, without once rührseelig be.
Great style and unique history.

0 comments:

Post a Comment